Hugo and Harvey

Hugo and Harvey had been through a really tough time. They lost their younger brother, Charlie after a long illness. They had helped mum and dad to look after him whilst he was ill and now they had to face life without him. They both deserved and needed a ‘smile’.

Hugo asked for the impossible – to be a mascot for Manchester United. Charlie was clearly looking down on his brother because were part of a miracle. Manchester United agreed!

Hugo as Mascot at Manchester United.
Hugo as Mascot at Manchester United.

Hugo’s Story:

We went to the Manchester United Museum where mum and dad had champagne. Then went to the shop where I bought a football and a scarf. We then met Lisa who gave me a Man Utd kit and showed me and dad where I would get changed. Then we waited in the tunnel where I got the players’ signatures – these were Rooney, Fletcher, Nani and more. Then I led the team out with the Captain Vidic and we did a guard of honour for Sir Alex Ferguson for managing the club for 25 years. We had an official photo with captains and referees. We then went to join my mum and brother Harvey on the front row to watch the match. The next day I was in most of the papers as ‘Fergie’s Guard of Honour’.

A truly incredible day for Hugo and his family – one they will never forget.

Harvey is very musical and was at Rossall School on a musical scholarship, sang in a choir and told us that his dream was ‘play the organ in a cathedral’. Much as we would like to have taken him to St Paul’s Cathedral we realised this was a tad ambitious so asked Liverpool Cathedral instead. They were very happy to help us and have his unusual smile take place there.

On the morning of the smile, Harvey and his mum were interviewed on Radio Lancashire when Harvey told them how excited he was. Family and friends were also very excited about the day – so much so they had arranged for a coach to take them all to the Cathedral to watch Harvey.

Everyone arrived in time for Evensong when Harvey, friend Joe and Harvey’s dad went up to the ‘flight deck’ to watch Ian Tracey play for the service. Harvey came down after the service and took his place at the organ in the main body of the Cathedral. Despite the fact that the organ was enormous, Harvey tackled the three key boards and dozens of pedals with confidence and ease. He played for over 30 minutes with much applause from his audience and to the amazement of the many passing tourists.

Harvey said afterwards:

What can I say but ‘thank you’ to everyone at Miles of Smiles for my special day. I really enjoyed listening to and sitting next to Professor Ian Tracey for Evensong. It was a great and wonderful experience, also being able to play the organ was really exciting especially for the first time on the big organ at Liverpool Cathedral – my first recital at a Cathedral. I will always remember this wonderful day. Thank you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *